For people who attended Crawford High School or would have attended if they hadn't
moved -- or just have fond memories of San Diego in the '40s, '50s and '60s.

Check out the Crawford High web site.

Friday, June 26, 2020

June 26, 2020



Yesterday's Bizarro cartoon

My heart goes out to Matthew Hubbard, a professor at Laney College in Oakland, who apparently suggested it might be a good idea for one of his Vietnamese-American students to anglicize her first name.  Every Asian I've known had an American first name.  I'm thinking of Ed Fong and Dennis Ming at Crawford, and Doreen Fujisaki at San Diego State.  My favorite waitresses at Chinese establishments have American names they use at work.  At any rate, Professor Hubbard is weathering a Tweet storm for being culturally insensitive and xenophobic.  He's apologized profusely, but may lose his job.  There is no way in hell this girl got through junior high using her given name, and you won't hear it on radio or TV.  It's Phuc.  I assume that's pronounced Fuck.  Cheers.



"These are the times that try men souls," to quote Thomas Paine.  I guess I can understand why Aunt Jemima Syrup is getting the boot.  Apparently Mrs. Butterworth is also on the way out, because of her figure (I'm serious).  But Eskimo Pie!!  Well, I'm not a Native American from Alaska, so I'll take their word for it that it's culturally insensitive.  Click HERE to read the article in the New York Times.



This deal on avocados, from the A & P ad I shared on Monday reminds me of the thrifty shopper who came upon an identical offer.  "How much for ONE avocado," she asked the manager.  "13 cents," he replied.  "I'll take the other one," she said.



Tuesday's Union-Tribune had a thoughtful article about NASCAR's heritage by Bill Center '63.   Click HERE to check it out.  By the way, if you type Bill Center into Google Images you get the nice photo above, and a whole bunch of shots of the Buffalo Bill Center in Cody, Wyoming.



Three of the people in this group photo are B. B. King, Eric Clapton and our own Nathan East.  Sunday's Union-Tribune had a feature article on the 20th Anniversary of the album Riding With The King, and a whole lot about Nathan.  Click HERE to give it a read.  Unfortunately, it doesn't have the snapshot of B. B. and Nathan, a 1973 Crawford graduate, that was featured in the print edition.



Remember the Horace Mann handbook submitted by Ron Smith last week?  He also sent along a copy of Crawford's Student Handbook for the Class of '68 -- or at least I thought he did.  Turns out he emailed the cover, two pages, and a school map.  It all worked out fine, because it turns out Ed Schoenberg had previously submitted the same handbook, but Ron's cover was much nicer.  I did take the time to enlarge the map for your pleasure.  Click HERE to check out the map.  Click HERE to read the original handbook.



An email from the Crawford Foundation said that Stephen Dickson '66 passed away earlier this month.  That's all I know, except that his name was Stephen but the annual printed it as Steven.




No comments:

Post a Comment