For people who attended Crawford High School or would have attended if they hadn't
moved -- or just have fond memories of San Diego in the '40s, '50s and '60s.

Check out the Crawford High web site.

Friday, February 14, 2020

February 14, 2020


Just the other day I was asked when Crawford opened.  I was pretty sure the answer was 1958.  Click HERE to get ALL the details from Victor Perez '71.  My new question is, when did Crawford's address change from 4191 55th Street to 4191 Colts Way?

Julia Burnham Little '64 asked if I could find a photo of the ROTC Firing Fillies Girls' Rifle Team.  I checked the appropriate yearbooks to no avail.  Julia was pretty sure they competed with the boys at the indoor firing range on campus.  All news to me.  How about you?



Take it easy girls!!  It's not James Dean.  It's ME -- leaning against the car I drove to San Diego State College.  Click HERE to see what some other Colts drove to Crawford.



I think I've shared this before.  It's a 1946 aerial taken by my late buddy Howard Rozelle.  It looks east from the Ferry Landing and the old Police Station on Market Street.  Click HERE if you'd like to look at an enlargement on my web site.




Click HERE to read a Pacer from 60 years ago -- February 11, 1960.  Remember Slave Day?  Those were the good old days.




Robert Smith ’60 passed away February 5, 2020 from metastatic throat cancer.  Born at North Island, Bob graduated from Crawford, went on to SDSU and graduated in 1970 from UCSD with a PhD in Math.  He spent his entire career at the Navy Lab at Point Loma, at first doing math modeling, then moving on to something he loved more: managing the building of --and taking to sea -- towed array sonar surveillance systems.  A hunter most of his life, after retiring in 1995, he took up bird hunting and acquired the first of his four beloved hunting dogs.  A Celebration of Life will be held Sunday, March 8, at 1 PM at the Thursday Club, 1224 Santa Barbara St., San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment