For people who attended Crawford High School or would have attended if they hadn't
moved -- or just have fond memories of San Diego in the '40s, '50s and '60s.

Check out the Crawford High web site.

Monday, October 14, 2024

October 14, 2024

I remember the match books and the “Draw me” ad! I wanted to be an artist when I was young and after retirement, I finally took some lessons from two amazing artists! Here is a story about one of my art adventures! This is Ernie, he was the oldest known living giraffe when I spent three days painting him at Safari West in Santa Rosa, CA. His bones are now at the Smithsonian. His head looks funny and lumpy because he had arthritis. Ernie could lay down in the barn at night but he couldn’t get up in the morning, so his keeper would use a hoist to pull him up. Ernie would then walk around all day in the sunshine. One time I displayed Ernie’s painting in an art show and a man got up real close, really checking him out.  I went and asked if I could answer any questions. He said no, that Ernie just looked like his giraffe! Turned out he was Ernie’s keeper! He recognized the arthritic bumps! Other viewers just thought I messed up! LOL! I would never sell Ernie!!  --  Jeannine Berger Passenheim ’60



My brother David Farnell '63 passed away on July 5, 2024 after a brief illness.  While at Crawford, he played French horn in the orchestra, marching and honor bands.  Dave was a master electrician with King Soopers grocery chain in Denver for many years and enjoyed RVing after retirement.  He is survived by his wife Cherie (who kept him plied with meat loaf and gravy), three daughters, 10 grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, a younger brother Jim and myself,
Judi Farnell Brown ‘65 

No comments:

Post a Comment